BLT Oyster Stuffing
Post author: on The BLT Oyster Stuffing
Ingredients (8 Servings)
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, divided, plus more
- 1 loaf white Pullman bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups), dried out overnight
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped thymeKosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup dry Sherry
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock (preferably homemade), plus more
- 12 ounces oysters, freshly shucked
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a shallow 3-qt. baking dish and a sheet of foil. Place bread in a very large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking into small pieces with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 7–10 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions, celery, leek, and thyme to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden brown and soft, 10–12 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook Sherry in skillet, scraping up any browned bits, until almost all evaporated, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup butter; cook, stirring, until melted. Drizzle over bread mixture.
- Whisk eggs and 2 cups stock in a medium bowl; pour over bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper, add oysters, and toss, adding more stock ¼-cupful at a time as needed (you may not use it all), until combined and bread is hydrated. Transfer to prepared baking dish and dot with remaining ¼ cup butter.
- Cover with buttered foil; bake until a paring knife inserted into the center comes out hot, 30–35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450°. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown and crisp, 20–25 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Do Ahead: Stuffing can be assembled 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.